On this daythe natural upsurge of energy within the human body allows one to do certain types of powerful sadhana which would normally be unsuitable for those who have not put in the necessary preparation.
As most people know, we have always instructed people not to do chanting of the Mahamantra “AUM Namah Shivaya” in normal circumstances. But on the night of Mahashivratri, one can do this sadhana and reap many benefits.
Those who cannot be at the Isha Yoga Center during Mahashivratri can make use of the night in the following manner.
- It is most beneficial to stay awake, aware and in a vertical position throughout the night, without lying down.
- You can prepare your room by lighting a lamp or a Linga Jyothi, and placing a Dhyanalinga Yantra or Sadhguru’s picture, flowers, incense etc.
- You can chant, sing or listen to devotional songs and chants.
- If alone, it is good to take a walk or be with nature. If in a group, it is good to be silent as far as possible.
- The midnight sadhana can be performed in the following manner: 11:10pm to 11:30 pm –Sukha pranayama; 11:30 to 11:50 pm – AUM chanting; 11:50 pm – 12:10 am – Chanting of the Mahamantra, “AUM Namah Shivaya.”
- If you are following the celebrations through live telecasts and webcasts, you can follow the meditation instructions given there.